XP Home vs. Pro vs. Embedded

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Wed Sep 13 12:02:39 EDT 2006

This is the thing about Windows that I never could understand.
Can you imagine how users would revolt if Apple came out with 'Mac OS
Tiger Lite"?

By creating 'tiered' versions of their OS, aren't they just creating
a big mess for consumers, not to mention a mess for themselves? What
is taken out of XP Home that is in the 'professional' versions? Only
a bloated monopoly would do that to its customers.

Is the MS marketing plan that the computer ships with a cheaper
'weenie' version of the OS, with the intention of it being flawed
enough that it encourages people to move to 'PRO' right away? How
disingenuous is that?

To be fair, Apple did this with Final Cut Express 2. Horrible, buggy
software with no bug fixes. I almost didn't buy the Pro version - I
was looking real close to Avid, but finally got FC HD pro 5.  This
time I got what I paid for.

Lite versions of anything always seem to suck. At least Avid gives
away their 'Lite' video editor for free. It's actually not bad.

Rev content: Rev Studio is not Lite and does not suck.

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o