what is the method you use to save a specific field reference in a variable or custom property?

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Tue Sep 12 20:55:45 EDT 2006

Maybe someone can shed some light on the best way to put a field
reference into a variable (or custom property).

If I do this:

   set the uFldRef of me to the long name of fld "whatever"

It seems to work great.

Then, if I try to access that custom property:

   put the uFldRef of the target into tFldIWant

it seems to work fine.

But when I try to do something, like:

   put the text of fld tFldIWant into x -- error

or

   put the text of tFldIWant into x - error

or

   put fld tFldIWant into x --error

or

   put tFldIWant into x --this simply puts the long name (or ID) of
the field in the variable, not its contents

If I try "the long ID" I get the same error.

Here is the error I get:

  Chunk: no such object

  Chunk: can't find object

  put: error in expression

  Handler: error in statement

So my question is, what is the method you use to save a specific
field reference in a variable or custom property?