Gnome or KDE?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Sep 11 11:39:39 EDT 2006

On 9/11/06 3:54 AM, "Martin Baxter" <mb.ur at harbourhosting.co.uk> wrote:

> Ken Ray wrote:
>> Is there any simple way for a Rev stack to know whether the currently
>> running version of Linux uses Gnome or KDE? And if so, what's the best way
>> to determine what version of Gnome or KDE is in use?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ken Ray
>
> Ken,
>
> Here (when running under Linux) I see a global environment variable
> called $DESKTOP which contains (in my case) the string "kde"

Hmm... I run this under Kubuntu 6 and it comes up empty, but it pointed me
in a right direction (I think)... under KDE there is at least one
environment variable that starts with $KDE, and under Gnome there's at least
one that starts with $GNOME. I'm hoping that's consistent, but for now that
will do...

If anyone can find an example of a system where this rule does NOT apply,
please let me know offlist.

Thanks,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software