closeField

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Sep 9 12:16:33 EDT 2006

All-

Is there any case where closeField is a useful message?

I've been working on a legacy app where closeField was used to make
sure field data got saved before exiting. This had some serious
consequences, like crashing the IDE when you switch to another app and
back again. I changed the logic to use selectionChanged to set a
semaphore, then check in on exit, and all is well.

So my question is: why would I want to use closeField for anything? Is
there a scenario in which the use of closeField is a Good Thing? I
don't think I've ever used it myself - I handle data validation on the
fly through other means, and I'm used to setting semaphores to flag
the fact that data needs to be changed. Does anyone actually use
a closeField handler? And for what?

Just curious...

--
-Mark Wieder