Age calculation script

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 12:03:59 EDT 2006

Here is my version using the approach of 'dateitems'
This rendition *should* do things correctly and accommodate leap years.  It
will also calculate days till next birthday.

To run, type into message box  => calcAge "7/4/59"
then hit the enterkey

on calcAge  birthdate, asOf
  if birthdate contains "2/29" then
    replace "2/29" with "2/28" in birthdate
    put true into leapBirthday --if you need this
  end if
  convert birthdate to dateitems
  put item 1 to 3 of birthdate into birthdate
  if asOf is empty then put the short date into asOf
  convert asOf to seconds
  put 24*60*60 into hr24
  repeat with x = 1 to (365*150)
    put asOf - (x*hr24) into past
    convert past to dateitems
    if past contains ",2,29," then add 1 to leapDays
    if past contains birthdate then exit repeat --we are done
  end repeat
  put (x - leapDays)/365 into ageInYearsDecimal
  put (x - leapDays) div 365 into ageInYears
  put x into ageInDays
  put ((ageInYears+1) -ageInYearsDecimal)*365 into daysTillNext
  --did not test for upcoming leap year
  put "days old = " & ageInDays && "  years old = "& ageInYears&cr \
      & "exact years old = "& ageInYearsDecimal&& "  next Bday = "&
daysTillNext \
      & " days from now"
end calcAge

Jim Ault