remove html tags from text

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 8 13:18:03 EDT 2006

Mark Wieder wrote:

>> function striptags tHtml
>>    replace cr with empty in tHtml -- in case of multi-line tags
>
>>    replace "<" with cr & "<" in tHtml
>>    replace ">" with ">" & cr in tHtml
>
>>    filter tHtml without "*<*"
>>    filter tHtml without "*>*"
>
>>    return tHtml
>> end striptags
>
> Clever... but it'll fail on
>
> if xyz > 4096 then
>
> maybe replace the two filter lines with
>
>    filter tHtml without "<*>"

This is a very interesting topic.

Being a lazy person, historically I've let the engine do the work by
setting the htmlText of a field and then getting that field's text.

But given the overhead of field access, that might not benchmark as well
as doing it in a variable as described here.

Are there any downsides to this approach?  For example, how does it
account for "<" and ">" which may appear in quoted strings or comments?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal