Age calculation script

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Fri Sep 8 08:48:57 EDT 2006

function getAge bDay
   put 60 * 60 * 24 * 365 into secsPerYear
   put secsPerYear / 12 into secsPerMonth

   put the seconds into tDay

   -- assuming date of birth is given in short system date format
   convert bDay from short system date to seconds

   put tDay - bDay into tAgeInSecs

   put tAgeInSecs div secsPerYear into tYears
   put (tAgeInSecs mod secsPerYear) div secsPerMonth into tMonths

   return tYears && tMonths
end getAge

This is pretty rough and ready, it doesn't try to take into account
leap years and so-on, but unless the person is really old (100 yrs
+ ?), it should be close enough. Also, see 'centuryCutoff' in the
docs if you're going to be dealing with older people.

Best,

Mark