Remote Desktop issues with RR

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Sep 7 18:56:34 EDT 2006

Weighing in late here...

On Sep 5, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com wrote:

> I have confirmed that standalone apps created with Revolution (all
> versions including 2.7.3) do not render the display correctly when
> using
> Remote Desktop. All field backgrounds and most images turn completely
> black.
>
> The same behavior occurs when connected to a Windows PC using the
> free Mac
> OS X client for Remote Desktop.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?
> pid=remotedesktopclient
>
> I have to run applications remotely all the time, and this bug
> prevents my
> Rev applications from displaying like normal Windows applications. Has
> anyone else seen this and considers it to be a serious problem?

Yes, we have seen this problem here, and it's a major one for us,
because we allow our students to use our windows labs using virtual
machines through Remote Desktop connection. The color problem is the
same whether you're using the Windows remote desktop client or the
Mac client. The only way I've ever gotten Rev or Rev-based apps to
display in any usable form is to set the color bit depth of the
remote session very low (8 bits I think). It looks awful, but it
works. I told Kevin about this problem at RevCon, and he wanted me to
check to see if the problem still occurred with v. 2.7.x. It does.
I'll visit bugzilla and add my votes and a comment.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University