Another Rev to the Rescue

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Wed Sep 6 10:52:03 EDT 2006

Another success story:
One of our customers recently had a corrupted stack in our old
HyperCard-based business system. It was a "5454" error in his orders archive stack. He had
over six thousand records (10 meg.) and "thought" it was being backed up
properly. All gone.
Historically we've had about one 5454 error per year - with over a thousand
users. In the last 18 years we've been able to save all but two of them. Not
this one!
Over a three week period I tried every tool in my kit at least twice and
nothing worked.
Then I tried to open the corrupted stack with Rev. It worked. We could
salvage all of the data!
I consider this even more remarkable because the original HC stack must have
been extremely NOT compacted.

Paul Looney

PS This customer was using one of our older systems (circa 1998). Since then
we've found that 5454 errors are caused (at least one cause) by operations on
null sets - so we now trap for them. There have only been two of these errors
reported since we installed the traps (about six years ago).