RR Forums

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Tue Sep 5 15:09:46 EDT 2006

Yes i was curious why the forums were locked event to peek at the
content. As Richard stated its a big turn off for most users, you
would like to know what you are signing up for before signing up. If
this is to hide that some of the forums dont have many posts its not
a good move for rev either since it would piss me off to go to the
trouble of signing up and then find out what i wanted wasn't there
yet or what i wanted.

I too much prefer this list. put it in digest form and its really
fast and easy to scan and i even run across a few things when
scrolling through the digest email that i may not have clicked on by
the title. I have used several web forums, and as others have noted,
always find i quickly stop using them since having to go to the site
and scan the lists in various ways (depending on the forum ui) just
was a bit too much. Im probably a member of 20 email lists and they
all are extremely fast and easy to keep on top of while taking
relatively little time to do this each day.

Personally I also dislike the specific benefits made by Lynn of a
forum of posts being editable or controllable. these lists are very
self limiting and the few storms that come up go away quickly. a good
free and open discourse is the heart and sole of what makes this such
a wonderful list for all and probably one of the major supports of
the product for the company (and i would hesitate to say w/o it, it
may not have made it this far). a big brother approach to this kind
of discourse (ie channeling, censoring, or editing) ruins it with
even the threat of it.

Jeffrey Reynolds

On Sep 5, 2006, at 1:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com