[Mostly OT] Tate Talks About Language-Adoption Risks

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 13:47:08 EDT 2006

Famed computer author and software guru Bruce Tate wrote an article for a
Webzine about the risks associated with switching programming languages that
I thought might have some interest for at lest some members of this list. I
posted a note on my blog <http://www.danshafer.com/onemind/?q=node/253> last
night and hesitated to point to it here. But given that this is a long
weekend in the U.S. and likely to be a slow-traffic period for the list, I
decided maybe we could handle a bit of an OT thread for a couple of days.

Bruce's discussion is about switching from Java to Ruby but some of the
points he makes, as I summarize in my blog post, seem relevant to
discussions we have from time to time about the seeming difficulty Rev has
getting traction in the market.