Open Letter to Rev: Quality Is Job #1

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Oct 20 20:17:57 EDT 2006

Bill-

> Normally I'd agree with you, and this is why I tried to specifically address
> WHY I don't feel Bugzilla is the appropriate avenue at this point, in my
> original post. To oversimplify, I feel end-user bug reporting is good for
> helping to track down obscure or difficult-to-pin-down issues -- NOT
> addressing core problems that should be obvious with cursory examination.
> Sure there's a huge range of things in between, but hopefully you get my
> gist.

I do indeed. I'd love it if the runrev team devoted more time to QA
than they probably do now (not being on the inside I don't have any
more insight on this than anyone else), and the whole 2.7x series
seems like a run of beta releases.

Nonetheless, so far there are workarounds for any of the bugs that
would interfere with my getting work done, and even in 2.7 I'm still
about four or five times more productive than I am in C++. And each
new release in this series seems to be inching its way towards
usability.

That said, I feel your attitude on reporting bugs is rather like
someone who complains about the government but can't even be bothered
to vote. If the team didn't find what you're running into during their
development and the beta testers didn't come across them, then things
aren't gonna get any better unless you report them.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net