OT: Macbook Random Shutdown

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 18:10:32 EDT 2006

On 10/9/06, Andre Garzia <soapdog at mac.com> wrote:
> I call on the wondeful knowledge base of the Apple Experts here! :-)
>
> Starting today, my Macbook is experiencing random shutdown, meaning,
> all of a sudden the screen goes black and the power is off. Then it
> won't start again, press the power button, it goes up for 1-2 secs
> and then it will go down again. After the fourth or fifith try, it
> will boot, but no one knows for how long it will stay up.
>
> I checked on the popular sites and it appears that this is a wide
> spread issue with no easy fix, people are changing their macbooks
> logic board to fix it, others are blanketing the thing with termal
> paste... I don't know what to do. Apple Brasil is a joke as a
> company, they never answer and their prices are so high that is
> cheaper to travel to the US buy the thing there and come back than
> buying apples here.

Hi Andre,

Yes, I've seen this. My husband's MacBook suffers severely from RSS
(Random Shutdown Syndrome).  It's heat-related and usually only does
it during the first 10 minutes or so of starting up or waking from
sleep.

He took it back to the local Apple dealer as soon as this started
happening (about 2 months ago) and they replaced the logic board, but
this didn't help. The current theory is that is a new heat sink
problem, and we are currently waiting for the part from Apple, which
are due this week.

After that happens, I may be able to supply more details about what is
actually wrong.

Cheers,
Sarah