[OT?] HTML email is evil - or, why we get so much spam

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Sat Nov 25 08:50:42 EST 2006

Chipp said:

I'm with Mikey. I finally broke down and forwarded all my email
addresses to my Gmail account.
<<

Well, I thank you all for the Gmail recommendation - I hadn't looked
very deeply into using Gmail before.  However, there are still a
couple of issues for me

1) When I first started using the internet, I got an account with
Netscape, and I used that for many years.  As I started to join more
and more mailing lists in the past 5 years, I came to rely on Notes
more and more as my email client.  My current mail database contains
over 200,000 emails (and that is with all spam removed).  I have an
encrypted copy on my laptop, and I have two replica copies on cheap
Linux servers on the internet.  I can be using any computer on my LAN
and can connect to my server-based copies and search through all
200,000 emails in a matter of 5 seconds.  I have a Gmail account that
has only 2000 emails in it, and I find that it takes as long to
search through a mere 2000 emails.  How people find Gmail performs
when they are searching through a couple of hundred thousand emails?
Does the Gmail search scale?  Being Google, I'm hoping it does.

2) As time went on, I used Netscape less and less.  However, what I
did was to cc stuff to myself there that I really, really didn't want
to lose (stuff like license keys).  About a year ago, Netscape re-
vamped their email app to make it more Ajaxy (and incidentally make
it worse in some ways).  When I logged in, all my email was gone.
When I wrote to them a couple of times to complain about it, they
didn't even bother to reply.  That makes me very wary of ever
trusting my email to a single source.  I lost all that license key
data and 5 years of personal emails.  Luckily the license key info
had generally been received into my Notes database and replicated to
my servers.  But those personal emails are gone forever.

You might wonder why someone needs to keep so many old emails.  Most
of them are from user-lists of various technologies I use.  I like to
keep my own archive because one never knows what will happen to
archives under the control of other people.   As I pointed out
before, Google used to archive this userlist very well, but something
has gone awry with that in the last year, so now I always just search
my own archive.  Also, there are other technologies I use where a 10
year archive of the user list, and is no longer publicly available.
This is especially important for technologies that are little-used
now, and the user list has dwindled.  People may just not have the
knowledge of past users.  So, for me the archives of user list
traffic has a high value.

One of the ironies for Notes developers is how difficult it is for
them to send an email from someone other than the person under whose
authority the code is executing when the mail is sent (be that a user
or a developer).  Internet email is as insecure as Notes email is
secure.

I may well find that the best solution is to use Gmail or SpamSieve
as a front-end to my own server.

Bernard