Revolution and the Web, feedback wanted, Part 1 of 3

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Wed Nov 29 19:11:09 EST 2006

True, I am thinking more of a specialized situation in which the user
kind of *expects* to download something. (I am fortunate to have a
"captive audience", that will use whatever I tell them to :-)

A download takes time... but in some cases, to the user, it represents:

  - added value (not just another browser app... this is REAL
software! :-)
  - added security (immune to Explorer bugs)
  - faster performance (browser page reloads.... arrgh! Once you've
had the experience of click click, instant screen changes, you do NOT
want to go back!)

For those two people on this list who haven't read this:

http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/netapps.html

run, don't walk!

The good news is, if you've worked out all the logic and UI layouts
in Rev, and the client's signed off, but decides the app has to be
browser-based, it's faster to write it in Rails/Symfony/CakePHP/
whatever than starting from scratch!

But I do agree that frameworks and IDEs for AJAX-type web apps and
Flash all suck, which is weird.

:P