Revolution and the Web, feedback wanted, Part 1 of 3

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 14:22:20 EST 2006

> I think it depends on the industry. The lest tech-savvy a customer is, the
> less likely a client will want to deploy a solution to that customer that
> requires downloading anything.

It's not just that.  There are other issues at play, too.
1) Sometimes it's nice to not have to open ANOTHER application to get
something done.  How many applications, business systems, etc. do we
have to use?  One for Personnel.  One for Accounting.  One for ERP.
It gets to be really old after a while. Each one has a long load, too.
2) Deployment, and support and updates are a PAIN!  For every
application I have running in my organization, I have to maintain it.
I have to load patches, updates, bug fixes, security updates, yadda,
yadda, yadda.  If the application runs over the web, I don't have that
problem.  All I have to worry about are client OS updates.
3) Can I run your application from home?  Starbucks?  The hotel?  The
answer is "maybe, if you have a VPN", which is more crap I have to
deal with as an IT manager, and more expense that I have to shoulder
if I'm a VP.

Does that mean that every manager thinks this way?  No.  However, once
again, it's a hurdle.  RR has some advantages in this realm, though.
It is one of those tools that allows you to prototype something while
you're still sitting at the conference table.  That doesn't suck.
However, it still won't run remotely...easily.