Revolution and the Web, feedback wanted, Part 1 of 3

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 00:38:16 EST 2006

Let me answer a couple of questions that have come up:

1) On Morfik, since I brought it up:
Morfik is definitely different.  It took me a little while to get my
brain wrapped around why it made sense, but it does to me now, so here
goes (straight from http://prerelease.labs.morfik.com) The "Express"
edition is for people who aren't building commercial apps
(individuals, students, etc.).  There are two "Professional" editions:
 The "free for startups" version is just that.  The straight Pro
edition is LIST PRICE $5,000, however they are accepting new
applications to the "Pioneers" program and preorders at a big discount
(65%?) until...sometime.  The per-seat price includes everything.  You
buy the Professional edition, you get a perpetual license, and you can
build and deploy as many systems, servers, etc. as you like without
paying anything more.  It includes the application server, database
server, and web server along with the rest of it.  I believe they are
trying to compete with M$, so they intentionally gave away the
deployments to attract corporate and professional developers.  So, in
more ways than one it is different.  The packaging is different, the
pricing is different.

2) On AJAX/FJAX:  If you've used Gmail or Google Maps you will
immediately recognize that there is a significant difference between
AJAX apps and your run-of-the-mill web apps.  Speed.  Smoothness.
Shortcuts. You can't get the same feel from straight XHTML.  The XML
portion is a way to speed the information transfer process.  Instead
of reloading the web page every time you pull up a new record, only
the changed data can be transferred, which means significant speed
savings, and no flashing blinking screen when your browser reloads the
page just to display the data from another record...err card.  In
addition, the opening "A" in "AJAX" stands for "Asynchronous", which
means that your application can and does cache data, so that it is
already in your browser waiting for you when you do something.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."