Revolution and the Web, feedback wanted, Part 1 of 3

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 13:43:58 EST 2006

--- Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> Mikey wrote:
> > 4) Application server:  Big problem.  If RR were
> easier to
> > multi-thread this would be much easier, but it
> isn't yet.
>
> Given that Rev can be used with FastCGI, why is this
> a problem?
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin

Because with FastCGI you only have a single engine
running, and when that's mulling over 5 million
records in a MySQL database, no other requests can be
handled.
The main advantage of FastCGI is that a single engine
keeps running; thus saving time because the engine
doesn't need to be relaunched, database connection
only needs to be opened once, etc.
But it's still a single-threaded engine... While you
can simulate a lot by using 'send in time' constructs,
this becomes awkward to to script and a flood of
requests will bring it to its knees.

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>