Flash open source!!!

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Tue Nov 28 10:54:24 EST 2006

> > ...now someone with time on their hands needs to modify the
> source so
> > that it runs Transcript code natively...
>
> Mark, I think the "Flash open source" subject may be a little
> misleading. As far as I know, the ActionScript Virtual
> Machine is only part of the Flash plugin.
>
> The press release has the usual lack of clarity (spin) we've
> come to expect from large corporations with dollars to spend
> on marketing.
>
> "Adobe has contributed source code for the ActionScriptT
> Virtual Machine"

My read on this is that the ECMA script engine (aka Javascript) will be
folded into Spidermonkey, the Javascript engine that is part of the Mozilla
project. It doesn't have anything really to do with Flash in particular.

There are a number of products that utilize Spidermonkey for adding
cross-platform scripting to their products when otherwise they might have to
implement Applescript on Mac and VB Script on Windows - for
example...Valentina Studio 2.5 :-)

What this quite interesting in a database environment that also supports SQL
- you can act automate SQL queries and also act on the result. Add in the
new virtual PIVOT TABLE capabilities coming and you have an excellent data
analysis tool.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software, Inc

Joining Worlds of Information

Deploy True Client-Server Database Solutions
Royalty Free with Valentina Developer Network
http://www.paradigmasoft.com