The basics of a chat program

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Tue Nov 28 01:32:22 EST 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 5:33 PM, Jan Sælid wrote:

> Hi everyone
>

> I would be very grateful if anyone on the list could give me some
> directions
> in creating a simple chat program. I just need something to start
> with. Have
> anyone created one? Is it possible to test it on one single machine
> (with
> one IP address.) I tested a program I found on go revnet called
> “chatter
> box”. I tried to communicate with this program from one desktop to
> a laptop.
> The desktop was on lan and the laptop was on wlan. Both had
> different ip
> addresses. No result.
>

> As you probably understand, I’m completely green when it comes to
> communication and just need a simple kick off, a understandable
> program or
> code that I can build on.

I wrote chatter box but have not looked at it in some time. The only
prerequisite was that you needed to know the ip of the two systems
talking.  I'll take a look at it again and make sure it is working.
The program does not work on the server model.  It is a peer to peer
model.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software