[OT?] HTML email is evil - or, why we get so much spam

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 22:19:22 EST 2006

There's another option, of course, and I like it better than the
"traditional" approach.

I use gmail for my mailing lists.  The spam filtering is crazy-good
(in fact, it's so good that "google for your domain" now hosts our
corporate email as well), it doesn't require you to load images if you
don't want to, and if you still want to keep your POP3/IMAP4 email
client you can, but gmail auto-removes the potential spam from the
messages you retrieve before your client even hits the server.

However, gmail's interface is good enough that I don't even bother.  I
just use it right in the browser as it was originally designed.

I belong to a mailing list for another development tool that has had a
non-obfuscating archive for years.  Before I used gmail for that
mailing list I used to get inundated in spam at the address I used
just for that list.  Now with gmail that just doesn't happen.

Anyway, if you want, I believe you can get a gmail address just by
going to gmail.google.com.  If you can't I have a ton of invites.
Email me off list and I'll send you one.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."