[OT?] HTML email is evil - or, why we get so much spam

Martin Baxter mb.userev at harbourhosting.co.uk
Fri Nov 24 15:55:45 EST 2006

Jeffrey Reynolds wrote:
> ps Have other folks experienced a really large rise in spam in the last
> couple of months? i have had a bit of an faster than normal rise
> slipping through the filters and junk bins filling up a lot faster along
> with many clients mail systems doing some hiccups which look to be
> attributable to spam clogs. just curious.

Yes I have, and some of my clients have complained to me about it too.
(I think they suspect it's somehow my fault, since I provide their
mailboxes).

This recent article from the Guardian:

<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1942262,00.html>

may perhaps help to explain some of the reasons why.

Martin Baxter