Where rev could be going...

Brent Anderson brentj84062 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 13:29:11 EST 2006

Hello.

I've been reading the responses on this topic, and I can see great
things for both a browser extension of Revolution as well as a 3D
Version of Revolution. Briefly touching on the 3D Rev: If done
correctly (ie. relatively easy to use, interact with, etc) this has
the potential to propel Revolution into a more mainstream position.
My list of Revolution shortcomings is limited to the lack of 3D
capabilities. If, perhaps, there were a GUI widget that gave you a GL
Canvas to paint on, it would open up a world of potential, not only
for new apps, but for people outside the Revolution community to take
Rev more seriously (In my dealings with fellow programmers, I've oft
been written off as an amateur or a hobby programmer since Revolution
is almost too easy).

My real interest perks with the potential for a browser plugin. Much
speculation has been raised about what the internet would be like
today had HyperCard been pursued by Apple. Would the Web be based on
HyperCard stacks? Instead of hand-coding HTML, could we create stacks
and then drop in a quick tag? Perhaps this is what the Java Applet
was supposed to be (Even though Applets are all but extinct in day-to-
day browsing).

I'm not suggesting that the Internet can be completely revolutionized
(no pun intended) like it could have been in the early 90's. The
internet is starting to cool down and it's basic building blocks
(PHP, AJAX, RSS, etc) are here to stay for the time being. I do
believe, however, that were there a Browser plugin capable of loading
a stack into a web page, it would do a number of things, not only
giving programmers another way to get content onto the world wide
web, but it would unlock the floodgates of web programmers for
Runtime Revolution. Were there a browser plugin, Developers would
flock to Revolution in droves since it is secure, robust, powerful,
but still user-centric AND web-enabled. As a result, we'd also see a
bigger presence of Revolution in the regular development community.
Combining this with the perk of 3D capability in Rev, and Revolution
would be completely irresistible.

Thanks,
Brent Anderson