[OT?] HTML email is evil - or, why we get so much spam

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Nov 24 12:48:06 EST 2006

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Bernard Devlin wrote:
>>  >>
>> Might I ask what mail client you're using? Just turning off images is
>> pretty much sufficient; you don't have to disable HTML altogether.
>> <<
>>
>> Thanks, Bill.  I realised that, and I had checked my email client.  It
>> doesn't allow me to turn off images, only disable HTML rendering.
>
> I turned off HTML mail entirely in my email client (Thunderbird) years
> ago, and the newsletters come through just fine as plain text.

Me too, also many years ago.  Professionals who send newsletters
commonly do so in both text and HTML; those who insist on HTML only are
the ones I unsusbscribe from immediately.

If it weren't for a handful of my customers I provide support for who
don't know how to turn off HTML in their email clients, I would reject
HTML emails altogether.  But alas email software vendors think it's cool
to encourage folks to send their text via email in bloated formats, and
it's a trend far more pervasive than I could ever hope to address myself.

So instead I stay on top of a custom filter which block certain patterns
used by spammers, phishers, and other criminals, and while I still get a
few dozen coming through daily I'm able to block several thousand a day.

It's been tempting to blame this on a lack of international enforcement,
but as they say, "regime change begins at home":  more than a third of
the world's spam comes from the US, and more than 25% of that comes from
just three counties in Florida.  Simple domestic enforcement would kill
a significant percentage of spam, and send a clear message to others.

But alas, the US government apparently feels they have higher priorities
than stopping the loss of tens of billions of dollars in productivity
across the nation.  Oh how very grateful we all are that they reserve
their precious time for things like changing the Congressional menu to
drop "French Fries" in favor of "Freedom Fries", only to change it back
three years later.  Truly the Land of the Brave.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal