Where Rev could be going...

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Wed Nov 22 06:39:10 EST 2006

I know that every time this has come up, the people who
actually write the Rev engine say a Rev plug-in would be difficult if
not impossible to implement. This includes engineers going back to the
original MetaCard product. I can't say for sure what the problems might
be, but the response has been pretty universal for many years.
<<

Hi Jacque, that's a pity as it's clear from the number of times that
it has come up, that there's quite a lot of desire for it (or at
least a few disquieted souls who don't realise that what they're
asking for is so difficult).  I've followed this list and the
MetaCard list for 3 or 4 years now, but I don't ever remember reading
what the engineering difficulties would be (could just be my faulty
memory - apologies if this has been outlined in the last few years
and I've forgotten it).

As I've said, it's not currently a high priority for me, but it seems
to be quite important to other users.  If we knew what the
limitations were, then maybe we'd stop pestering Runrev for it :-)
Since Lynn asked at the beginning of the month what we wanted from
Rev in terms of browser interaction, maybe he could provide us with
the definitive answer about why a browser plug-in would be such an
engineering challenge.

I'm sure all of us would prefer that Rev's engineering resources are
not consumed by the production of a browser plug-in.

Bernard