[ANN] Galaxy 1.5 Released Today!

Jerry Daniels jerry at daniels-mara.com
Sat Nov 18 12:09:40 EST 2006

Mark, I think I'm defining version control in a stricter sense than
Galaxy's auto-archiving provides.

The internal version control system for Galaxy itself does versioning
in the sense that I would define it. It "publishes" multiple versions
of Galaxy to a server that is hooked into Galaxy's version chooser.
Each type of Galaxy user (Studio-Llite-Free) gets a different menu of
versions in Galaxy's updater component. Users for Studio-Lite-Free
can then choose "their" version.

We also do "staging" where certain versions of Galaxy are not
published for certain users. For example, users in our QA program see
more "versions" than do Studio users. Unit testers see every
iteration. That's what comes to mind when version control is
mentioned--it includes "staging" and servers.

All that said, the Galaxy archiving feature (which did not slip my
feeble mind) is a great, local version control system, although,
given my firm commitment to truth in advertising, I could not
possibly say that. (Oblique Francis Urquhart reference from House of
Cards BBC miniseries!).

Best,

Jerry Daniels

Makers of Galaxy 1.5