Where Rev could be going...

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Fri Nov 17 18:21:06 EST 2006

In the light of the discussion about Rev plug-ins, I decided to re-
visit a post I made last year about where Rev was in relation to
competing technologies.  At the end of it, I listed what I thought
Runrev should do to increase their competitive edge.

These are the things I think Rev needs in order to increase their
competitive edge:

* the ability to generate stacks dynamically server-side (I believe
the requirement for a checksum currently hampers this)

* integration with version control systems (this could be via the
command line if the scripts were pure text in the IDE)

* built-in connectivity to a lightweight, cross-platform, local free
rdbms like sqlite or firebird (Runrev could license altsqlite, or
produce their own connector for firebird to have a much higher quality
embedded sql rdbms)

* Dan has also suggested that the CGI interface for Rev needs to be
made simpler. Given that he has written a tutorial on that, I believe
him.

* a browser plugin (this could just be IE and Firefox initially and
is probably the least important and the most difficult of these
enhancements for Runrev to produce)
<<

I've been working intensively on the first two.  And I'm glad to see
that the 3rd item is being incorporated, and possibly the 5th.

Maybe Dan or Andre could comment on what they think about the 4th
item?  I seem to remember some posts a few months ago where they were
expressing some exasperation with Rev CGIs.  Was the principle
limitation with Rev CGI to do with threading and scalability?

Bernard