OT: www.visualthesaurus.com/ If only we could do this

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Fri Nov 17 10:35:20 EST 2006

So, this goes to the whole discussion (viz-a-viz Lynn's query about how
Rev could integrate with browsers) of rev plug-in vs web page with links
to down load stand alones, vs some kind of embed object filled with Rev
CGI powered content, vs getting them to download a Super Revolution
Player... I thought this site offered yet another model.
<<

Is this the kind of thing you are interested in?

http://www.openlaszlo.org/demos

Laszlo apps used to just be provisioned by Flash.  They have been
working on Ajax versions this last year.  They've also said all along
that there's no reason why it couldn't be provisioned in a Java
applet like the one in the thread title.  Looking at the similarities
between the DHTML and the Flash versions of the calendar Laszlo has
come a long way in being able to produce rich internet apps that will
run without Flash.

These kinds of apps aren't completely independent of the browser - if
you close the browser the Visual Thesaurus app will close, as will
the Laszlo Flash calendar.  I believe that .swf files can be started
as executables (if passed to a standalone Flash player), so in theory
they could be independent of the browser.

There's nothing intrinsically stopping Runrev from producing a plug-
in that works like Visual Thesaurus.  The Squeak people did it for
Smalltalk.  There are several small companies doing it for their
development environments (quite a few for 3D graphics and gaming).
There is also http://dreamfactory.com/demo/developer.html - I believe
that the guy behind DreamFactory was the original creator of
Supercard (could be wrong there, so feel free to correct me).   It's
just a question of priorities.

I've advocated that myself several times on this and other Rev-
related forums.   But I'm almost of the opinion that the time for a
Rev plug-in has passed.  With both Laszlo and Flex being free tools
now, and with the state of Ajax toolkits coming from Yahoo and Google
and dojo and ...

Bernard