Bug???? Discuss please!

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Nov 15 09:53:22 EST 2006

Hi,

The secret was revealed by finding out that if you set the "shared
text" property of the field all works ok, e.g. put "x" into me work
as expected, there seems to be a "ghost" context in which "me" is not
actually me, or the context gets restored back to it's former state
IF the shared text property is off. However I'm not sure if the
shared text property is just causing a side-effect that may well
change in future releases so I have used the long hand form (which
takes longer to execute.

Which version of RunRev are you using and which platform(s)??

On 15 Nov 2006, at 14:40, Mark Smith wrote:

> If I add "select the text of me" to the script of the field on cd
> 2, and I press the button on cd 1, I get this error:
>
> Chunk: can't select object that isn't open
>
> Which is perhaps some sort of clue. However, if there is some text
> in the field on cd 2, and you change it's script to
> on messageY
>   put me
> end messageY
>
> press the button on cd 1 and it happily puts it's contents into the
> message box.
>
> So it seems hard to see exactly when we can use "me" and when we
> can't.
> It seems to work in accessing a closed objects own properties --
> the long id of me, in your work around -- but not in setting them.
>
> However, if we now change the on messageY handler to
>
> set the height of me to the height of me * 2
>
> and press the button on cd 1, go to cd 2, the field is twice as tall!
>
> So that theory goes out the window!
>
> Perhaps this "me" trouble is confined to the text of fields?
>
> Whether or not this is a bug, it seems to me an ideal subject for
> some sort of Wiki - I don't know if RunRev have theirs up and
> running, yet. They didn't, last time I looked.
>
> I also think there may be a good argument for having special
> sections in the Docs that deal with these "me", "it", "the result"
> words, which do seem to get confusing, at times.

yes, and add something on the shared text property too.

> Best,
>
> Mark

Cheers
Dave