Bug???? Discuss please!

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Nov 15 08:55:05 EST 2006

Hi,

I thought I'd re-visit this as people seem to be in the mood for bug
fixing or changing documentation. How should this be filed? I'm
really not sure what needs to be changed, I have listed the work
arounds I have found at the end. I would suggest that at the very
least this is mentioned in the PDF and the Online Docs.

All the Best
Dave

I have a Stack, StackMain.

In StackMain Card 1, I do:

-- On a field
on MessageX
put "MessageX" into me
end MessageX

-- on a button
on mouseUp
send "MessageX" to field 1 of card 1 of  stack "StackMain"
send "MessageY" to field 1 of card 2 of  stack "StackMain"
end mouseUp

In StackMain Card 2 I do:

--On a field
on MessageY
put "MessageY" into me
end MessageY

--on a button
on mouseUp
send "MessageY" to field 1 of card 2 of  stack "StackMain"
end mouseUp

If I press the button on Card 1, then MessageX gets called in Card 1
ok and the field gets set to "MessageX". All is fine. MessageY in
Card 2 field 1 gets called ok too, BUT the field is NOT set to
"MessageY" as expected????? However if I select card 2 and then press
the button in Card 2, again the MessageY in Card 2 field 1 gets
called AND the field is set ok. All is fine.

It seems like the following path does not work:

Card 1:Button 1:mouseUp -->Card2:field 1:MessageY does not work.

But

Card 2:Button 1:mouseUp -->Card2:field1:MessageY works fine.

The weird thing is that the handlers do get called and I have stepped
over the statement that does:
put "MessageY" into me and that seems to work. However, when you
select card 2, the field has not been changed.

KNOWN WORK-AROUNDS:
1. Instead of using the form:

put "MessageY" into me

Use:

set the text of the long id of me to "MessageY"

2.  Set the Shared Text Property in the property inspector of the field.

Easy to solve, VERY HARD to TRACK DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!