Philosophy of build numbers

simplsol at aol.com simplsol at aol.com
Tue Nov 14 22:36:57 EST 2006

10.3.9 followed by 10.3.10? Not 10.3.9.1? Not 10.4.0? Not 10.3.91?
How much easier to have 10.03009 followed by 10.03010.
Or if it is a more significant update: 10.04000.

One of the biggest advantages of the "point 5" system is the ability to
run the same sequence for builds and customer releases. The way I use
it: the digits to the left of the decimal are the version; the two
digits to the right of the decimal are for customer releases and the
last three are for builds (or really minor updates). It is really easy
to release a build at any time, it's already numbered!
Paul Looney