Rev_rant part 4

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Tue Nov 14 10:09:20 EST 2006

Dave said:

I'm not talking about "me", I'm talking about trying to sell it to a
whole programming department that is currently using a mix of Macs,
Windows and Linux machines and programming tools such as C/C++,
RealBasic, AppleScript, XML, PDF, PERL, JavaScript, etc.
<<

But why are you trying to 'sell' Rev to these people?  What's the
benefit for them?

They already have several cross-platform dev tools (RealBasic, Perl,
Javascript).  What do you think that Rev would give them that they
don't already have?  Transcript/xCard is a completely different
programming paradigm to any of those dev tools.  What do you see that
Rev brings to them that they don't already have?  What can justify
them learning a new paradigm?  How are you trying to sell it to
them?  By pointing out how buggy it is?  By pointing out how they
should get free updates for the first year?  By pointing out how
insecure you think the company's future is?  Maybe your frustrations
with your department not using Rev is being taken out on Rev itself?

You've got to accent the positive. I'm using Rev to build cross-
platform tools (installers, GUI controls for monitoring processes)
and as a rich, highly dynamic, componentized, presentation tier in n-
tier applications.  There are very few tools that suit my needs in
the case of the latter, and none that I know of that could also be
used to do the former as well.  In fact, I also see a time where I
will be using Rev to build tools to replace many of the tools used in
my middleware environment.  In my case, Rev is the right tool for the
jobs I'm using it for.  I have been able to sell Rev (literally) to
other people because I have shown them some of the benefits it holds
for them.

Most programmers are quite opinionated (I might even go so far as to
say bigoted).  You are going to need compelling reasons to convince a
C programmer or a Perl scripter to adopt Rev.  I worked in a team of
6 developers.  The Java/Oracle people would not look at anything that
did not come from IBM, because any company smaller than Oracle or IBM
was too risky (despite the fact that they'd followed IBM solutions
down more than one dead end road), and they were always looking to
have skills to sell to their next employer.

You've said yourself that you want to be using tools that have
widespread adoption.  You could remove all bugs in Rev, and all
policies you don't like from RunRev, and I think we'd all be retired
before Rev would have as wide adoption as  JavaScript, Perl, or even
AppleScript.

Bernard