Spaces in folder names on server

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Nov 13 18:30:49 EST 2006

Dar Scott wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2006, at 12:41 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>>   get there is a folder tName
>
>> This particular host is running Redhat ES4.
>
> Does this boil down to whether 'there is a folder' works on Redhat?
>
> (While you are thrashing, you might try putting quotes around the path.)

Quotes, no quotes, etc etc. All fails. It also fails on my own Linux
server. But I think you've nailed the problem. If I put a file name
after the folder with spaces, it does work. Ergo:

   there is a folder "/home/folder 1/" --> false
   there is a file "/home/folder 1/file.txt" --> true

So it looks like "is a folder" is iffy. It does work with my OS X Darwin
cgi regardless of whether there are spaces in folder names, with or
without a file name after the folder. It does not work on my own Linux
file server (I'm not able to see what flavor they are running, I need to
find out) and it doesn't work on the client's RedHat server. But since
I'm going to be working with files rather than folders, I can check for
the file existence rather than the folder existence.

Thanks to everyone who tried to track this down. All your input was helpful.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com