Testing for completion of print spooling?

Bruce A. Pokras macstacks at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 11 17:55:35 EST 2006

I am having a problem printing in OS X. In my app, the user will be
able to create a list of files. The user then can print a file by
clicking its name in the list. This initiates a Finder AppleScript
that prints the file. However, if the user clicks a second file name
before the first file has completely spooled (and the printer icon
has disappeared from the Dock), then the last page of the first file
is not printed.

Any ideas on how to detect the fact that a print job is still
spooling and then either prevent the user from clicking further file
names or holding up the start of any subsequent print jobs until the
previous one has spooled?

Regards,

Bruce Pokras
Blazing Dawn Software