Rev_rant part 4

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Fri Nov 10 12:44:59 EST 2006

Dave said:

then RunRev will stop growing and eventually die.
<<

I think that these kind of doomsday prognostications are particularly
unhelpful.  Do you have any evidence that Runrev's financial position
is suffering?  As far as I can see, Runrev are going from strength to
strength.  Do you really think that this long stream of negative
threads is beneficial to new users, old users, and the company
itself?  I think it is more likely to put off new users than anything
else they might experience in their first 30 days of using Rev.

In fact, ironically, part of me actually doesn't want other people to
know about Rev - for me Rev is an amazing competitive advantage.  I'm
not entirely sure that my interests as a developer are best served by
everyone and his dog knowing what a great tool it is.  Of course it
is in Runrev's interests to maximize their profits and maximise their
sales.

Since I first came across Rev 4 years ago I have bought updates (even
if I was not making much use of the tool in those years) because I
wanted to keep supporting it for a time when (or even if) I did start
to really need it.  Anyone who can see that it is a very productive
tool for them should IMO do likewise and keep a stream of revenue
going in the direction of Runrev.  If you can find better tools for
development, then go for them.  I for one can't find a better tool
for the development of cross-platform GUI apps.  And if you've spent
a significant amount of time learning the ins and outs of Transcript/
xTalk and the whole stacks/controls/message path thing, then it's in
your own interest to do what you can to support Runrev.

As far as I am concerned, with Rev the glass is certainly more than
half-full.  In fact, if I had the money I'd be trying to buy the
company.

Bernard