Open Letter to Rev: Quality Is Job #1

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Nov 7 11:43:12 EST 2006

Luis wrote:

> To clarify, just in case, the lower portion of my response was addressed
> to RunRev.
>
>> And, when elaborating a point for which you have no control is an
>> especially telling consequence of an inability to be forthcoming with
>> the facts. Just a thought.

You know, I resent this on a personal level. You're new here, so I'll
explain my role. I subcontract to Runtime to work in their tech support
queue a couple of hours every morning. That's why I have a Runtime
signature under my tech support replies, and my own signature on this
list. I do not get paid to participate here, I do it because I love this
product, and because I come from a HyperCard background where the
community was selfless in sharing knowledge. So, as you can see, I wear
two hats. I do not represent Runtime officially, even though many people
associate me with them. What I am about to say comes from me as Jacque
at HyperActive Software, not as a representative of Runtime.

Now then. I spend every morning in the tech queue. If there is a
question in there, I answer it. We promise a 2-day response time, but it
is very rare that I put off a question longer than the few minutes it
takes me to read it. In some cases I need to get more info from a team
member. If that happens, it does take longer. I have never, ever ignored
a question. Ever. I resent you implying that I do. As a matter of fact,
it makes me quite angry.

If someone does not get an answer, it is because we did not see it.
Period. There are a couple of reasons that can happen, and I've outlined
them. There was also a time a couple of years ago where Runtime did not
have an official support system, and mail did get lost. As soon as that
became apparent, they set up a formal support network that is quite capable.

I very much resent you implying that somehow I am shirking my
responsibility. Or that Runtime doesn't care about the customer base. Or
that somehow, for some reason, this little company has decided to ignore
their customers for some unknown reason that will ultimately harm them
in the long run. Why in the world would they do that? Don't you think
they want to succeed?

Please note once again that I am posting this as myself, without
authorization from Runtime, and representing only my own human point of
view. But I *do* work for them every morning and I never neglect
anything that shows up in my queue. And while you can criticize Runtime
all you want, I think you owe me an apology.

Ask anyone here what I have contributed to this community and then tell
me I don't care.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com