How Else to Interact with Browser (wasRe:RevolutionWebBrowserPlugin)

chris bohnert chris at altuit.com
Mon Nov 6 16:12:49 EST 2006

I think Dar illuminates some of the technical and strategic problems that
Rev faces in trying to create this new layer of "openness" without just
opening the code completely.

What model to adopt? COM+IDL(for the windows guys in the house),nsCom(for
the mozilla fans),Kparts(if you luv some KDE),or Orbit or one of the other
CORBA variants for the gnome guys.  The point? If Rev simply adopted one of
the existing mechanisms they would have to deal with a technical boat load
of leaky abstractions that might pop up in a cross platform environment not
to mention the possible strategic blunder of alienating fans of the
non-implemented solution.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm definitely in the "me too" club on a new externals
interface.  I just the the cart is still well in front of the horse on this
one.

--
cb