rev~ file extension ?

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 05:40:21 EST 2006

On 3 Nov 2006, at 07:19, andreas wrote:

> Hello
>
> in short: does someone know what the file extension  "rev~ "
> means?
>
> I have the strange feeling that this file crashes my application.

Rev creates those files when it does a "save". From memory (not very
good), it first renames the current file from file.rev to file.rev~.
It then writes out a new file as file.rev. If that works, it deletes
the file.rev~ file.

If you see a file with a .rev~ extension, it means a save failed for
some reason. The likeliest cause is a permissions problem and not
corruption, probably on the folder where the file was saved. On
Windows, I think it is possible to have permissions that allow a file
to be renamed, even where you don't have permission to create a new
file. This would produce the situation where you see the .rev~ file.

I'd suggest you copy the .rev~ file somewhere, remove the ~, and open
it and see that it is indeed intact. If so, check the permissions on
the server location. If you can resolve that, try again.

Cheers
Dave