[ANN] Quicktime Issues Wiki

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Nov 1 19:35:17 EST 2006

On Nov 1, 2006, at 2:52 AM, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> I was just shaking the tree to see if any mangoes  would fall out.
>
> Aha! there's one from Trevor.
>
> Of course QT is not dead. It's a question
> of whether it has a pulse or is just there as a delivery window that
> may or may not work, depending...."is an architecture that enhances
> the playback environment, be in browser or desktop application."
> as you put it... that's simply not enough...the API has to be solid,
> cross platform stable, documented, moving forward... (viz-a-viz
> our other thread on streaming failures on Windows...)

Hi Sivakatirswami,

Here are some of my comments in regards to your points above, though
the first one relates to what Greg was looking for.

When QuickTime 3 added an interactivity layer it interested a lot of
people.  QuickTime 4 and 5 saw some enhancements to the interactivity
layer but it was clear that this was not Apple's primary focus with
the QT technology.  Greg's comments seemed to deal with this area of
QuickTime.  Don't look for QT to replace Flash across the board.  It
won't.  There are some projects where the interactive layer of QT
adds a lot of nice benefits though.

Regarding the QT API - QuickTime has a very solid and robust API.
Like any framework it has it's bugs it is used in a lot of
applications on both Windows and OS X.  iTunes relies on QuickTime so
you know Apple is putting time into making audio/video work really
well on Windows, whether progressively downloading or playing locally.

Regarding documentation - Though documentation wasn't always great in
the past, QT documentation has seen major improvements lately.  New
articles are being posted at http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/ on
a regular basis.

Regarding moving forward - Take a look at the QuickTime 7.1 Update
Guide at http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/
Conceptual/QT7-1_Update_Guide/index.html.  In particular, look for
the section entitled "Directions and Shifts of Emphasis in QuickTime
7".  Also take a look at "Advantages For Windows Developers".  One
major enhancement for QT video playback on Windows was the visual
context support for Direct3D.  QuickTime is trying to embrace the
technologies of each platform (OpenGL support was added in a previous
QT 7 release) so it can perform better.

Regarding the streaming failure - As you know, this problem some of
your testers have experienced is very difficult to pin down and has
not been reproduced by anyone else so it is very hard to fix.  The
movies play in QT Player and browsers but report an obscure error
when running in Rev.  While this is definitely something that people
want to see fixed I don't think we can interpret this as meaning that
QT is not moving forward.

Also regarding whether Rev will be in synch with QuickTime in 2009 -
QuickTime is a framework that is meant to be used in other
applications.  It is a HUGE framework but luckily Rev only has to
support basic playback and expose certain properties (like
movieControllerID).  Anyone can then use those properties to access
the majority of the QT framework if they need to.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems - www.bluemangolearning.com
trevor at bluemangolearning.com