Rules governing stack purging

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Nov 1 10:24:50 EST 2006

Hi,

For what it's worth, I think that all that needs to be changed is to
rename or alias the delete stack command to purge, in the meantime
I'd create a function/handler called "PurgeStack" that does it.

One thing that struck me is that if you were to want to grab a lot of
cp's from a stack, as in:

put the cp1 of stack_long_name into x1
put the cp2 of stack_long_name into x2
put the cp3 of stack_long_name into x3
put the cp4 of stack_long_name into x4
put the cp5 of stack_long_name into x5

etc.

Then surely if you purged it from memory after each access then it
would take a very long time to grab all the data, especially if the
stack were large in size and their were a lot of data.

IMO tho, the better way around it would be to introduce a concept of
a read-only stack, it could be handled in many ways, this would be
one of them:

set the stackStatus of stack_long_name to "readonly"

(now read the values as above)

When the cp is set, it would cause the stack to be read into memory
and it's status to be set to "readonly". An error would occur if the
stack were already open (e.g. status of "readwrite"). If in read only
mode and an attempt to write to the stack is made, then an error
would occur (maybe controlled by another (global) cp). If the stack
were opened then it's status would become "read-write" and since it's
already in memory, it would be quicker.

Having said all that, I do it a different way, since I fell foul of
the problems you are experiencing.

My approach it to do this:

set the visible of stack_long_name to false
set the cpFlagGetData of stack_long_name to true
open stack stack_long_name
--Call a function (using value()) in the stack that causes it to send
it's data back to the calling stack
--by calling a predefined "AcceptData" function in the calling stack
set the cpFlagGetData of stack_long_name to false
save stack stack_long_name
close stack stack_long_name

(I just put all this in a function)

Then if the stack is opened with the cpFlagGetData set to false, I
just make it visible in the preOpenStack handler.

Now I have combined all this into my ISM module so it all happens
automatically, but that's how I did it before I wrote ISM.

All the Best
Dave