OT: Strange output of shell"man xyz" on OS X

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed May 31 04:20:45 EDT 2006

Hi friends,

can someone explain why I get this strange output and how to
avoid/workaround itwhen using e.g.:

put shell("man grep") into fld 1

The result looks like:

############
NNAAMMEE
        grep, egrep, fgrep - print lines matching a pattern

SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS
        ggrreepp [_o_p_t_i_o_n_s] _P_A_T_T_E_R_N
[_F_I_L_E...]
        ggrreepp [_o_p_t_i_o_n_s] [--ee
_P_A_T_T_E_R_N | --ff _F_I_L_E] [_F_I_L_E...]

DDEESSCCRRIIPPTTIIOONN
        GGrreepp  searches the named input _F_I_L_Es (or
standard input if no files are
        named, or the file name -- is given) for lines containing a
match to the
        given _P_A_T_T_E_R_N.  By default, ggrreepp prints
the matching lines.

        In addition, two variant programs eeggrreepp and
ffggrreepp are available.  EEggrreepp
        is the same as ggrreepp --EE.  FFggrreepp is the
same as ggrreepp --FF.

OOPPTTIIOONNSS
        --AA _N_U_M, ----aafftteerr--
ccoonntteexxtt==_N_U_M
               Print _N_U_M  lines  of  trailing  context  after
matching  lines.
               Places  a  line  containing  ----  between
contiguous  groups  of
               matches.