Photo Processing - Brightness and Unsharp Mask

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue May 30 05:26:23 EDT 2006

On May 29, 2006, at 10:22 AM, Wilhelm Sanke wrote:

> wo things I can recommend loosely pertaining to your query are
> Chipp Walters' "convolve" stack and DLL (to be downloaded from his
> website)

hmmm. Altuit, I could be getting old  but I'm not seeing any links to
Chipps "freeware" from the top level of Altuit's site...

> and Derek Bump's adaptation of this stack and DLL that corrects the
> yellow color shift (<www.dreamscapesoftware.com/products/>). Both
> stacks contain 9 filters based on a 3X3 filter matrix, among them
> sharpen, blur, emboss etc., but not unsharp. The filter matrix can
> be used to experiment with own matrix settings.

hmmm 3 X 3? ... too small. Does  it mean that any starting image must
have this rect?

> I had embedded Chipp Walters version into my
> "ImageFilterDemo" (<www.sanke.org/Software/ImageFilterDemo.zip>)
> and got responses from Chipp and Derek. One interesting thing is
> that Chipp demonstrated that it is possible to script filters (3X3
> matrix) completely in Revolution without using a DLL, however the
> execution of such a script is much slower than with the help of DLL.
>
> I am experimenting myself with scripted filters, some of which are
> contained in the ImageFilterDemo, about a hundred or so will be
> available shortly in my "Imagedata Toolkit".

Keep us all posted.  My needs are pretty much always the same -- and
this would apply to most users needing to get from raw camera to web
quickly, assuming they don't have time to  tweak levels or fix red-
eye -- or  those who have no clue what that stuff even means.

one  pass: raw Digital camera image.jpg
1) rotate
2) downsize
3) autolevels
4) unsharp mask (I will try sharpening, but for sure it's not as good
for edges)
5) save jpg "optimize"

Option to turn off 4) 5) above where the image has already been
through one in interpolation and more  filters will simply degrade.

Sivakatirswami