Copies of your app running on the local net

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon May 29 15:09:34 EDT 2006

Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Of course, if there is a firewall in place, it might render any check
> for copies of the software on the network useless. There are
> utilities such as LittleSnitch to prevent programmes from contacting
> the network and the internet. That's why I wrote that there is a hack
> for each protection measure  --there really is. The question is how
> much you want to invest in protection and how much others want to do
> to override this protection.

That's a great question.

The original post might be rephrased to consider this wording:

What harm would there be in having a normal reg system that doesn't
attempt to shut down multiple local copies, puts that development time
into features and marketing, and reconsiders a greater investment in
anti-piracy technology down the road after there's a sizable installed base?

Most people who pirate software will never become customers anyway.
Taking funding away from customer-centric enhancements and marketing
rarely pays bigger dividends than focusing on the experience of the
legitimate user.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation