Linux and AudioClips

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Mon May 29 05:22:48 EDT 2006

In AIF files, the sample rate is stored as a 10 byte ieee floating
point number - this gave me all sorts of trouble when I was making my
audio waveform component.

Being a bit of a dunce when it comes to binary bit-twiddling, I
eventually opened a 'silver support incident' (ie paid for), and Mark
Waddingham came up with a couple of excellent functions for encoding/
decoding such numbers.

I posted the functions  to the list back in January. If you look at
them, you can see that they are fairly complicated, and so fairly
easy to screw up.

I wonder if the UBUNTU aif code for reading these 10 byte numbers is
buggy, producing a number 2 x  what it should be?

Best,

Mark