Linux and AudioClips

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Mon May 29 01:12:41 EDT 2006

AIFF file format was invented by apple but is used by all major audio
softwares.
It works cross platform as it doesn't contain a resource fork, as SD2 files do.

Why on earth does UBUNTU need standard files saved at half speed?
Major bug - and that means the top sampling rate would be half as
well. Wouldn't sound as good.

Hasn't anyone followed up and fixed this in UBUNTU? Obviously sound
isn't that important to those guys.

sqb

>Richmond,
>
>Interesting and useful. Thanks. I'm interested that you use AIFF
>files. I thought these were more Mac specific. Have you tried AU
>files?
>

>>I run a small EFL school in Bulgaria with Pentium 3s running Ubuntu
>>and using RR programs made by myself. These programs use externally
>>referenced AIFF files which were slowed down (!!!) to half-speed on
>>MAC so that they play 'normally' with RR in Ubuntu.
>
>This was the final situation I arrived at after a hell of a lot of
>false starts with sound, RR and Linux: not least the quite
>considerable abuse I recieved on the Ubuntu use-lists when I
>suggested that AIFF files had to be slowed down to half speed.
>
>Embedded AIFF files also have to be slowed down.

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o