Linux installation

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sun May 28 16:34:36 EDT 2006

Richard Gaskin wrote:

Thanks Bob.  While I'm sure RunRev will be interested in catching up
with RB's well thought-out suite of folder paths, I'm not sure how long
I can hold my breath waiting for Linux-related stuff in Bugzilla (I'm
already in my 40s <g>) -- do you know of shell calls to get those paths?

I don't need system or some of the others, just DesktopFolder,
PreferencesFolder, and maybe ApplicationsSupportFolder.

Richard:

I don't know of any shell calls that can be made through Linux, but they
must exist I imagine. Perhaps one of the Linux wizards out there can help.

As a 2nd class solution, I had the idea of getting these paths in an RB
  module which would push them out to a text file so that they could be
read in RR. The RR prog would then only have to shell the RB module and
wait for it to terminate. In principle it was easy, but I don't have any
practice in RB at all and I didn't manage to get the module to save the
text file!

So here's an appeal. If anyone reading this is familiar with RB, perhaps
they can tell me where I am going wrong. Here's the test routine for
saving a text file:

   Dim nameline as String
   Dim addressline as String
   Dim phoneline as String
   nameline = "bob"
   addressline = "leonor de barros"
   phoneline = "32332951"

   Dim file as FolderItem
   Dim fileStream as TextOutputStream
   file=GetSaveFolderItem(FileTypes1.Text, "text_saved_by_rb.txt")
   fileStream=file.CreateTextFile
   fileStream.WriteLine nameline
   fileStream.WriteLine addressline
   fileStream.WriteLine phoneline
   fileStream.Close

As per Help (as far as I can gather***), I have defined the FileTypes1
module in the IDE as:

Text	application/text	TEXT	text	.txt

[***Though what is mentioned in the Help is "TextTypes" and not
"FileTypes1" as appears for use in the IDE. If this is not an
inconsistency in the Help, then it is probably where I am going wrong,
and I need to learn how to define "TextTypes" more correctly.]

After getting the above working, I need to get it to save the system
paths mentioned in the last e-mail instead of the lines "nameline",
"addressline" and "phoneline". I also need to find out how to execute
this on prog startup (followed by an immediate quit) rather than putting
it into e.g. a button's mouseUp handler.

List moderators please note! I am simply trying to find a quick
workaround for what is currently lacking in the Rev for Linux system
info provided. I am NOT trying to discuss or promote RB! In fact, noting
the difficulty I had trying to save a simple text file in RB, I am not
all that impressed! Perhaps this kind of comparison between RB and RR is
not such a bad thing.

The routine from the previous e-mail:

   Dim f As FolderItem
   f=DesktopFolder
   If f<>Nil then
     MsgBox f.AbsolutePath
   else
     MsgBox "The folderItem does not exist"
   end if

Other available functions are ApplicationsSupportFolder, FontsFolder,
PreferencesFolder, StartupItemsFolder, SystemFolder, TemporaryFolder,
TrashFolder, SpecialFolder.