abort a handler

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun May 28 13:10:37 EDT 2006

BRAMI wrote:
>  How to abort a handler  on Mac OS X
>
> Command  .                   doesnt work
> Command :                     doenst work
> Command space           doesnt work
>
> so ?
>
> what is the period key wich is mentionned in the userguide on a mac
> azerty keyboard ?

It doesn't always work, especially if you are inside a repeat loop. A
client was asking me about this recently, and just last night I found
myself in the same situation. Force-quit was the only way out, and if
you have not saved your work then you will lose it.

For those curious, try this in a button:

on mouseup
  repeat
    put the ticks
  end repeat
end mouseup

Now try to get out of it. Remember to save your work first.

It is essential, I have found, to build in an escape clause like this:

on mouseup
  repeat
   if the shiftkey is down then exit repeat
   put the ticks
  end repeat
end mouseup

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com