Linux installation

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 26 21:54:25 EDT 2006

I'd like to make an installer for Linux versions of my app which handles
the basics:

- Puts the application in its own folder
- Puts a shortcut to the app in the Start menu
- Assigns appropriate file types to the app
- Assigns icons for the app and its documents

When I went fishing for this info a couple years ago, it seemed each
desktop manager had their own way of doing these things, with little if
any consistency between them.

What's involved in making one installer file that works with most common
Linux distros today?

This installer will be made with Rev, so as much as I appreciate any
tips about third-party installers it's essential to my workflow that I
roll my own (I have an end-to-end automated build system).

TIA -

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation