Disable combo box menu item?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu May 25 23:45:07 EDT 2006

Judy Perry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not understanding this.  I've got a pulldown menu button with style
> set to "combo box".  I manually disable one of its contents by using the
> inspector and typing a "(" next to the content name in particular.
>
> For all other multiple-option button types, doing this disables the
> particular button/menu option.  But for the combo box, it simply shows an
> enabled-state menu item that looks like this:  "(Vodka"
>
> Why?

Combo buttons are odd animals, half field and half button. It looks like
they don't support disabling individual lines, just as you can't disable
a line in a field. I think they probably should..

> And another thing:  I just had a student turn in a (sorry looking) file in
> which he saw fit to use, oh, say 5 or 6 DEFAULT buttons on the same
> screen.  (actually, both examples are from this student's project)
>
> Default buttons disabled via the message box report disabled behavior but
> the buttons do not sport disabled visual appearances (well, one does and
> the other is Mac OS X blue, but I'd swear it's a lighter blue; definitely
> throbs, though).
>
> Any ideas?  I'm on Mac OS 10.3.9 and using Rev 2.7 build 192.

The OS draws those, so it is out of Rev's hands. But I can't recall ever
seeing a disabled default button in OS X. Is that even possible?