spaces between each character?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 17:15:14 EDT 2006

--- Todd Geist <toddgeist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am loading an xml file into a field using "put
> URL"  but there are
> spaces bewteen each character. I know this has
> something to do with
> the encoding, but I don't know what to do about it
>

> here is my script
>
>   answer File "pick"
>     put  "file:"& it into tURL
>     put URL tURL into field "field"
>
> here is what the text looks like in the field
>
> "²· < ? x m l   v e r s i o n = " 1 . 0 "   e n c o
> d i n g = " U T F - 8 " ? >
>  < p r o j e c t s >
>      < p r o j e c t >
> "
>
> etc. etc.
>

> Any ideas
>
> TIA
>
> Todd

Hi Todd,

That's due to the encoding of the file - from the
first line, you can read that it's in UTF-8.
As I'm not a Unicode expert, I'll leave it to someone
else to give you the proper code ; perhaps the
following link will help:
<http://search.gmane.org/?query=utf+unidecode&group=gmane.comp.ide.revolution.user>

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.